Are you planning to have a House or Garage Sale? Chapter 17, “House and Garage Sales,” of Title 4 “Business and License Regulations,” of the Village Code requires that the homeowner obtain a permit to hold the sale. The purpose of the permit protects you the homeowner and residents neighboring your home. A fee of $10 is collected at the time of the application, along with your signed Permit Consent form. A completed form and fee must be submitted to Administrative Services Department prior to the start of the sale.
Click here to download a House and Garage Sale Application (form: HGS_App-040209) or you may obtain a form from the Administrative Services Counter, located on the 1st floor of the Village Hall, 300 Civic Center Plaza; Glendale Heights, IL 60139.
What are the Ordinance Regulations?
- All signs advertising any sale held pursuant to this Permit Regulation shall be located on private property or on the parkway and shall comply with all pertinent ordinances of the Village relating to signs. No such sign or other advertising matter shall be located or posted in any public park or building in the Village.
- All signs must contain the dates of sale, hours and address. These signs must be removed by 8:00 p.m. on the last day of the sale.
- The sale will involve only personal property items owned by the applicant or member of the household. Items may not be placed in the front yard area or on any public sidewalk or property.
- Not more than four sales shall be conducted by the same applicant or from the same premises during a 12-month period.
- The sale shall be limited to a consecutive period of three days and shall be conducted only during the periods from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- The sale will be conducted without the use of outdoor-loud speakers or other amplification equipment.
- The sale shall be conducted in accordance with all other laws and ordinances in effect in the Village.
- Permits must be posted in the front yard so they are clearly visible for inspection.
Penalty for Violation to Ordinance
In the event all garage sale signs authorized under this permit regulation are not removed prior to 8:00 p.m. on the last day of the sale, the Village shall impose a fine of $25.00 per sign for each day the sign is displayed beyond the last day of sale on each garage sale permit applicant.